In the heart of Linglestown, just past the roundabout, healthful cuisine and artsy, positive vibes combine to make Mellow Minded Café a must-stop for those looking to relax with a tasty meal and smoothie.
“We are a lifestyle brand that promotes the awareness of peace and acceptance within ourselves and in the community,” it reads on their website. “We hope to improve lives through healthy eating and creating a relaxed experience at our cafe. Love and caring are the main ingredients in all our dishes. We love the land, the animals, those who tend and harvest and those whom we serve.”
Originally opened by Mark and Lori Everest last year, employee Michael Keller bought Mellow Minded Café in June. With the help of Head Chef Dane Harvey and Front of the House Coordinator Amanda Fickes, the trio continues the tenets of positivity and nutritious food the Everests began in 2015.
“We like to follow in their footsteps,” Fickes says.
An abundance of natural light, colorful art on the walls, upbeat tunes providing the soundtrack and welcoming service create the unique atmosphere at Mellow Minded Café – a stress-free oasis to get away from the pace of everyday life.
“Mellow Minded is a place with good food for everybody,” says Fickes. “We want you to hang out.”
Top 3 Must-Sample Smoothies
1. Everything Green: Apple, banana, avocado, celery, greens, splash of apple juice, lime juice, green tea and agave.
2. Luscious Chocolate: Dates, banana, almond butter, almond milk, cacao powder and brown sugar.
3. Spiced Peach: Peaches, carrots, pineapple, banana, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, flax, splash of orange juice, green tea, mango nectar and agave.
Top 3 Must-Have Salads
1. Secret Garden: Mixed greens, berries, candied walnuts and feta, drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette.
2. Mediterranean: Mixed greens, grilled red onion, olives and feta, drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Moroccan Salad: Mixed greens, sliced oranges and strawberries, red onion and grilled chicken, drizzled with poppy-seed vinaigrette.
Top 3 Must-Try Sandwiches
1. Turkey Avocado: Roasted turkey with lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheddar cheese and avocado aioli on toasted whole-wheat bread.
2. Mellow Bellow: Balsamic-infused portabello with house hummus and broccoli slaw on ciabatta.
3. Grilled Cheese: Cheddar and smoked gouda cheeses on sourdough, served with a cup of tomato bisque.
Top 3 Can’t-Miss Large Plates
1. Power Plate: Seasonal vegetables sautéed in roasted tomato vinaigrette with either brown rice or quinoa – chicken, steak, shrimp, turkey, tempeh or portabello can be added.
2. Fajitas: Turkey, steak, chicken or shrimp with onions and peppers on flour tortilla with salsa and sour cream on the side.
3. Grass-Fed Burger: Locally raised beef with mellow yellow onion jam, garlic aioli, lettuce and tomato on a brioche bun.
Mellow Minded Café (5943 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg) is open Monday and Tuesday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Wednesday and Thursday 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Sunday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. They are open for breakfast on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.