At the corner of Linglestown and Colonial roads in Harrisburg, Greystone Public House is already making it’s mark on the midstate culinary scene.
On July 1, in what used to be the building that housed The Mount Hill Tavern, Greystone Public House opened it’s doors to the delight of many restaurant-goers in the region. For those who knew the location as its previous iteration, the new, spacious interior design impresses as does the deliciously unique cuisine and beverage menu.
Led by Harrisburg culinary legend Jason Viscount (formerly of Bricco), Greystone Public House offers his unmistakably well-crafted and patron-pleasing take on food and atmosphere.
“We are considered modern American cuisine,” describes Viscount. “It’s definitely comfort food, but by no means would I consider us fine dining. We do make everything 100-percent fresh in-house. We try to keep everything to a price point so that people can come here with their families. …The goal wasn’t to have a special-occasion restaurant, somewhere you come to just once in a while. The goal was to have a place where you could come to five times a month if you live nearby.”
After cultivating a well-earned culinary reputation of quality and expertise throughout the Capital City, Viscount decided to strike out on his own as co-owner and general manager of Greystone Public House to pursue his passion for all aspects of the restaurant industry.
“One of the main reasons I wanted to buy a place was I like doing all of the aspects of the business – the promotion, the booking of parties, the beverage part, service part. …I really believe in the model and the concept we have here.”
Top 3 Must-Sample “Shares & Snacks”
1. Smoked Chicken Wings with honey mustard, toasted peanuts and green onions.
2. Goat Cheese Pierogi Haluski with braised cabbage, onions, créme fraîche and beet dust.
3. Yellowfin Crostini: Tuna tartare, spicy aioli, avocado and toasted baguette.
Top 3 Must-Order “Suppers”
1. Bison Salisbury Steak with English peas, smashed Red Bliss potatoes, mushrooms and caramelized onion gravy.
2. Braised Beef Short Ribs with smashed Red Bliss potatoes, roasted vegetables and red-wine sauce.
3. Crab Cake with green beans, roasted potatoes and tartar sauce.
Top 3 Happy-Hour Must-Haves
1. The Wine Stack: A choice of three of your favorite wines, served in three stacked one-third-sized bottles.
2. Elderflower Spritzer: Hendricks Gin, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, lavender bitters and prosecco.
3. Navy Grog: Trio of rum with lime, honey and grapefruit.
Greystone Public House (2120 Colonial Road, Harrisburg) is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday brunch is served from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, call (717) 829-9952 or visit greystonepa.com.