Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., 22nd Annual African American Read-In
February 22 @ 9:30 AM - 12:30 PMFree and Open to Public
ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA SORORITY, INC., EPSILON SIGMA OMEGA CHAPTER PRESENTS
THE 22ND ANNUAL AFRICAN AMERICAN READ-IN
Exemplifying Excellence: A Tribute to the Harlem Renaissance – For the Love of the Arts, Music and Literature!
Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:30am – 12:30pm
The 22nd Annual African American Read-In presented by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Epsilon Sigma Omega Chapter, celebrates authors and illustrators of African descent. African American Read-Ins are held annually across the nation, with this one being the largest and longest-running in Central Pa. With nearly 200 attendees in 2019 and an exponential increase in supporting organizations this year, event participation is expected to grow.
Designed to inspire learning and literacy through the works of African American authors and illustrators, this interactive event is free and open to the public and is for children of all ages and their families. Guest artist and illustrators offer readings and presentations to participants. The day also includes age appropriate activities including coloring, creative puzzles, informational sessions for adults, free books and back packs and snacks.
Steelton-Highspire Elementary School, 250 Reynders Street, Steelton, Pa. 17113
Overview & Highlights:
• A formal welcome will be delivered, and then participants move to Reading Rooms where they’re greeted by a guest reader, author or illustrator who’ll bring literature to life in lively readings, discussions and hands-on activities. (Brief biographies of the authors and illustrators follows.)
• In sessions tailored for adult participants, attendees learn
• Later, readers enjoy a fresh and healthy boxed lunch and refreshments.
• Children will receive free backpacks filled with books, school supplies and learning materials.
• And, at the end of day, participants select from hundreds of new books for their personal libraries.